Acronis- the leader in disk/PC imaging has released its flagship product Acronis True Image 2014. With this new version Acronis has set a new standard for backup and disk imaging software, thus making it the top choice for home users and professionals alike.
This new version provides various improvements and introduces new features compared to the Acronis True Image 2013. Following are the most noticeable features:
• Disk imaging. Even to the cloud.
• Free online storage of 5GB
• Incremental & differential backups. Now online, too.
• Full Windows® 8 certification
• Nonstop PC backup
• Mobile file access-iOS and Android apps
• Time Explorer
• Flexible file recovery
• Secure Zone
• Personal key encryption
The First Step
The installation wizard is way different from usual wizards and leaves a very good impression to start with. Have a see yourself below. Note that it took just 2 minutes for the installation to complete on a Windows-7 professional system.
The new startup screen interface is sleek and soothing to eyes. There are 4 tabs namely, “Get Started”, “Backup and recovery”, “Synchronization”, and “Tools and utilities”.
The Get Started tab provides you access to quick tours. These tours show you how to use the specific features. Below these tours are the main features: Back up system, Recover data and Back up to Cloud. For Back up to Cloud you would need internet connection.
Back up feature
Let’s start with the most important feature and explore it further. One you click backup option button Acronis presents you everything on platter, set for you to go ahead. Note that default backup scheme is Incremental. See below. If you are happy go lucky person just go ahead with the preset options and watch the program work for you.
For the enthusiastic and brave hearts, just click on the “Disk backup options” to brace yourself with a lengthy list of tweaks and settings. Here you could set your own specific and picked set of files that you need to back up, that too along with set of disk partitions. If you would like to go in and perform fine control and very specific file level interactions, you can do that as well. A few options worth mentioning are:
- backup type (Incremental, Differential, Single and more),
- compression level,
- exclusion filter,
- commands to run before and after your backup,
- email notifications,
- error handling,
For the disk size of 10.7GB, Acronis back up resulted into a file of only 4.81GB, that too with normal compression. A massive 55% of space saving. I’m highly impressed. Below is a typical test of my system during complete back.
During back up
After back up
From this tab you could login to your Acronis cloud account and sync files or folders to your online account. Below is a test synchronization I made.
Acronis online account Interface
Although you will be spending most of your time with True Image 2014 on backups, restoration will be required only in case when something goes wrong. Restoring partitions or files is a 2-step method which consists of choosing the backup image and then clicking a few buttons depending on what you want to recover-disk/partition or file(s).
In case if you used Acronis Cloud for backup storage, a web interface opens in your browser. From there you can choose what to restore or recover.
Tools and utilities
This tab provides a good number of very useful tools for any user. I’m going to discuss some of them below:
1. Try & Decide – this create a virtual storage on your C-drive, where you can try & test new software’s, websites, etc – without affecting your real drive. It is disabled by default, so you would require enabling it before you use. If you are OK with the changes made (example an attachment downloaded from email) you CAN have that download SHOW in your REAL DRIVE. You need not get back to the REAL drive and then re-download. Just Apply changes and DONE.
2. Conversion to/from Acronis disk image (tib file) to a Windows (vhd virtual disk) – again very useful to convert the proprietary Acronis image in TIB format to Microsoft image format VHD. Good for system migrations.
3. Settings backup – Allows you to backup/import the settings. A real time saver.
4. Secure Zone – it sounds confusing but is another Great feature. Why, because you can save/image your system on the same system/drive, by creating a secure-zone – which acts a the image destination. I would love to use this, as it provide me no hassle backups, that too on the same laptop.
5. Bootable media builder– helps creating an emergency boot disk. Good for those bad times.
6. Acronis Startup Recovery Manager – this is very helpful as it will allow you to load Acronis before Windows boot. Good for those times when windows is dead as well as you do not have a recovery CD in hand. Just boot in Acronis (new term I coined) and Violla—Windows is alive & recovered.
1. Enormous range of disk and file backup options
2. Mobile file access
3. Non-stop backups
4. Easy to use for both beginners and advanced users.
5. Flexible, integrated and cheap cloud-storage option (5GB free up to 250GB paid).
6. Detailed and updated offline Help file.
Based on my experience I came to conclusion that Acronis True Image 2014 is a very powerful backup tool with numerous features and settings, which could be configured based on one’s requirement. But on the downside the huge amount of options and backup possibilities might scare off new users.
You could get a 30-day free trial of True Image 2014 along with free 5GB cloud storage. You must confirm your account within 5 days to continue your trial and preserve any files you backup to Acronis Cloud Storage. Once you confirm, you may be able to expand your cloud storage trial to 50GB to try image backup to the cloud.
Rules: complete the entry methods below to enter:
- Subscribe to our free mailing list (remember to click the activation link or the subscription will not be valid)
- Leave a comment below. Insert a valid email address, will be used to contact the winner(s)
Prize: 3 x Acronis True Image 2014 – 1PC – Lifetime licenses
Giveaway duration: 10 days
Winners selection: random.org
Note: by entering this giveaway you agree to receive occasional Acronis promotions
Special thanks to Mrs. Kurganova of Acronis.com for sponsoring again this event!